Lost Pubs: New Inn / by Nigel Rumsey

1 Milton Road, Gravesend

The New Inn can be traced back to 1780. The pub with the shops adjoining had previously been the home of the Holker family where in April 1734 Dr Holker entertained the Prince and Princess of Orange (daughter of George II) after their marriage when they were weather-bound on their return to Holland.

Like many pubs, it has experienced a couple of name changes over the years but reverted to the New Inn. In January 2016 after repeated reports of after-hours drinking and suspected illegal drug use, investigations by the Police and the local authority, the licensee surrendered their trading licence. After 236 years of trading, the New Inn closed. It’s now a Vape shop.

This is one of many pubs to have recently closed in Gravesend. Since the turn of the century, 25 pubs in the town have ceased trading.

Part of an ongoing project.